Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Who Wants to Grow Up?

Broomball. I've never seen it officially played. I'm guessing there's rules, equipment, refs...like I said, I've never watched a real game. But for the past three years my friends and I have gotten together and played our own version. 

Today it was 50 degrees. Our pond is just across the road from our house. It felt a bit slushy, but since it's only at max two feet deep I figured we'd survive. We had four brooms, four golf clubs, and an oar. The ball was something we grabbed out of the toy box. Goals were made out of small branches. Unorthodox, probably. Hilarious, yes. Because it was so warm, puddles formed wherever there was a lot of action. I was goalie and ended up standing in like two inches of water. That and the frequent creaking and cracking of the ice caused me to wonder how long I was going to last standing on the surface of the ice. Also, the job of goalie gets a little old after awhile...and since I had so much water around, I spent more time sweeping water at people than guarding the goal. Maybe that's why there was so much water...friction? hm...

Anyway, the layer of water caused the pond to be super slick. People fell and got up soaked. I stayed fairly dry...until I got chased down, drug over to the wettest part by my ankles and pushed down...Have I mentioned I love my friends? :) 

Regardless, I've decided playing broomball in 50 degree weather with some wonderful people is one of the funnest things ever. :)


No comments:

Post a Comment