Thursday, October 28, 2010

First Impressions

It amazes me how first impressions can change. Even the first impressions after you just first enter a friendship. Sure there's the impression of who a person is when you first see them, but there's also the first impression when you actually begin a friendship--a formulation in your brain of where this friendship is going to go and how it will progress. Yet, if the friendship does actually continue, generally one's first impression of the other is gradually shifted.

I started a new friendship in the past few weeks with a girl, that was before, just an acquaintance. We've been thrown together more often lately and our personalities just seem to click. I was always kind of intimidated by her, now we pick on each other unmercifully. It's fun. Changed first impressions.

I do this with guys a lot. I'll meet a guy and the newness of the friendship will make everything exciting, painting him with rose colored streaks. Often I wonder if "he's the one". This thought process usually lasts for a few weeks. I get to know him better, begin to see our differences and realize that we'd never work out. Yet the intrigue is still there. And despite all my convincing that it will never work out, my thoughts turn to him far too often.

It's usually about then that I get to know him well enough that something seriously annoying arises. The difference that seemed so intriguing, is overwhelmed by the unattractiveness of laziness or the realization that he doesn't actually hear anything I say. Generally I'm thankful--it's beyond the time since God's first started whispering , "Let it go. I've got your future under control. You don't need to orchestrate things with him."

So, another door shuts. But it's ok.

And surprisingly, it really is.

No comments:

Post a Comment